Like you, we are currently faced with a situation of enormous scale and human impact. Our hearts go out to everyone who has been personally impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19). As our communities continue to feel the increased impact of coronavirus, we felt it was important to share with you what EMSI is doing to help keep people safe and healthy. Please know that the well-being and safety of our clients and employees is our top priority.
In some cases, we’ve had clients cancel or postpone activities, and in other cases, we’ve had clients proceed with activities, but ask about our internal procedures for limiting COVID-19 exposure. Please be assured we have protocols in place and are following established guidelines from the CDC and local public health officials. The following is intended to explain how we are doing so.
Until the COVID-19 outbreak subsides, EMSI is implementing the following with regards to our cadre assignments. These procedures are subject to change as official guidance on the pandemic evolves:
- Upon receiving notification of a pending assignment, instructors will be asked to confirm if they have traveled to a COVID-19 impacted area or may have been potentially exposed to the COVID-19 virus. We will follow Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and U.S. Department of State (DOS) guidelines related to COVID-19 high-risk areas.
- If the instructor has not traveled to a COVID-19 impacted area or has not been at increased risk of exposure, the assignment can proceed as planned.
- If the instructor has traveled to a COVID-19 impacted area or may have been potentially exposed to the COVID-19 virus, but is not showing symptoms of COVID-19, they will be required to self-quarantine with no signs or symptoms for two weeks prior to the activity start date or whatever the current CDC guidance is at that time.
- If the instructor has tested positive for COVID-19 or is showing signs/symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, we request that they share this information with EMSI so that we can meet client reporting requirements and recommend that they consult a medical professional before accepting the assignment.
Furthermore, EMSI will actively work to reschedule activities in areas with significant COVID-19 diagnoses, limiting the exposure of our team members in potentially high-risk areas.
EMSI will continue to monitor the COVID-19 outbreak as we work with our clients on scheduling and rescheduling of activities. Our goal is to support the needs of our clients, while responsibly implementing measures to control the COVID-19 outbreak. Furthermore, EMSI IMT members are available to respond virtually and in-person to support COVID-19 prevention and response management efforts, including contingency and continuity planning efforts.
We are closely following guidance released by the Centers for Disease Control and U.S. Department of State. Both agencies have useful information on their websites:
- CDC COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- CDC COVID-19 Situation Summary: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html
- CDC COVID-19 Symptoms: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/symptoms.html
- CDC Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/index.html
- CDC COVID-19 Travel Information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
- DOS COVID-19: https://www.state.gov/coronavirus/
EMSI will adhere to guidance distributed by CDC and other U.S. Government entities and will comply with all requirements set forth by our clients. For international work, EMSI will closely follow guidance issued by the U.S. Department of State and the government of the nation we are working in. As the situation evolves and eventually devolves, we may modify our efforts to follow the current official guidance. We understand that state and local entities, as well as foreign governments, may issue additional and/or conflicting information.
Thank you in advance for your patience as we navigate this challenging situation one day at a time and determine how best to continue serving our clients and cadre. The situation is constantly changing, and we appreciate your patience and understanding as we adjust how we deliver EMSI services. Should you have additional questions, please contact EMSI’s office.