Under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA 90), all facility and vessel response plans must identify a Qualified Individual (QI) and at least one alternate who meet the requirements of these sections of the CFR. The QI or alternate must be available on a 24-hour basis and be able to arrive at the facility in a reasonable time. Additionally, the QI and alternate must not only be familiar with the implementation of the facility response plan, but be trained in the responsibilities of a QI under the response plan.
This course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in multiple exercises that provides a realistic, scenario-driven approach to mastering the skills required of a QI. This course includes a copy of our new companion QI job aid and a post-training test to ensure that QIs understand their roles and responsibilities.
Specific Course Topics
- Review of ICS use and the roles and responsibilities of the QI and Command and General Staff during the initial response stage
- Initiating a response and ensuring appropriate resource and equipment deployment
- Review of regulations related to QI position:
- OPA 90
- Clean Water Act
- 40 CFR – Oil Pollution Prevention and the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan
- 46 CFR – Barges carrying liquid hazardous materials cargoes
- 49 CFR – domestic transportation of hazardous materials
- Preparedness, Notifications, and Initial Response and Assessments by the QI
- ICS documentation
- Establishing the Initial Incident Management Team (IMT)
- Establishing the Operations Section
- Establishing the Planning Section, to include the Situation and Resources Units
- Identifying hazards and risks to manage the Safety function
- Establishing Logistical support in the initial response
- Media Relations
- Incident Briefings
Response personnel designated to fill the role as a QI.
Duration: Two days (16 hours)
Successful completion of ICS-300 and experience in a Command or General Staff position on an incident