In addition to EMSI’s guidance on performing in the Operational Planning Process, this job aid offers several key checklists and reference sheets for the COML. You can order the Communications Unit Leader job aid or any one of our other ICS job aids exclusively at IMTGear.com.
EMSI continues to provide emergency management performance support to responders through the development of Incident Command System (ICS) courses and job aids. We are proud to offer our our new Qualified Individual job aid and Qualified Individual course at this time. The job aid and course were recently developed, in consultation with government and industry subject matter experts, to help define what roles and responsibilities were most required by this critical position based upon their experiences in real world response operations.
Under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA 90), all facility and vessel response plans must identify a Qualified Individual and at least one alternate who meet the requirements of these sections of the CFR. The Qualified Individual or alternate must be available on a 24-hour basis and be able to arrive at the facility in a reasonable time. Additionally, the qualified individual and alternate must not only be familiar with the implementation of the facility response plan, but be trained in the responsibilities of a Qualified Individual under the response plan.
Preparing Qualified Individuals to serve as the initial Incident Commander, our new course covers a multitude of topics, to include:
- Review of ICS use and the roles and responsibilities of the QI and Command and General Staff during the initial response stage
- Review of regulations related to QI position, including:
- OPA 90
- Clean Water Act 33 CFR 1251
- 40 CFR – Oil Pollution Prevention and the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan
- 46 CFR – Barges carrying liquid hazardous materials cargoes
- 49 CFR – domestic transportation of hazardous materials
- Preparedness, Notifications, and Initial Response and Assessments by the QI
- ICS documentation
- Establishing the Initial Incident Management Team (IMT)
- Establishing the Operations Section
- Establishing the Planning Section, to include the Situation and Resources Units
- Identifying hazards and risks to manage the Safety function
- Establishing Logistical support in the initial response
- Media Relations
- Incident Briefings
Consistent with EMSI’s commitment to developing and delivering the highest quality incident management training, this course includes all of the hallmark principles of EMSI training courses. Leveraging adult learning methods, this course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in multiple activities that provide a realistic, hands-on approach to mastering the skills required of a QI. This is a two-day course that meets all of the QI training requirements and includes a post-training test to ensure that QIs understand their roles and responsibilities, along a copy of our new companion QI job aid.
Feel free to contact us regarding our exciting new products. You can order the QI job aid or any one of our other ICS job aids exclusively at IMTGear.com. We look forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming course offerings, as well as continuing to evolve our products to meet your needs!