This course will build on the solo Public Information Officer (PIO) competencies gained in L0290, Basic Public Information Officers Course, applying those skills in an expanding incident where coordination is enhanced through activation of a Joint Information System (JIS) and establishment of a Joint Information Center (JIC). This training will equip PIOs with the skills needed to establish and operate in a JIS/JIC. Participants will also gain a working knowledge of operational practices for performing PIO duties within the National Incident Management System (NIMS) Multi-Agency Coordination System. The course will demonstrate how JIC concepts are applied in a flexible and scalable manner at the local level.
This training will:
- Equip PIOs with the skills needed to establish and operate a JIS/JIC
- Impart a working knowledge of operational practices for performing PIO duties within the NIMS Multiagency Coordination System
This course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in exercises that provides a realistic, scenario-driven approach to mastering the skills required of a PIO.
- Explain the importance of coordinating messages in a multi-agency environment
- Describe and differentiate between the JIS and the JIC
- Apply the strategic communications process to managing information in a JIC
- Assess current management practices and capabilities to organize and lead a local JIC
- Identify organizational structures and resources to facilitate operations with state and Federal JIC partners
- Given a scenario, organize and lead a JIC
The primary audience for this training is individuals who have public information responsibilities as their main job or as an auxiliary function at the state, local, tribal, or territorial level of government.
Duration: One day (8 hours)
- Joint Information System/Center Planning Training Manual
- Scenario handouts
- EMSI Joint Information Center (JIC) Job Aid (optional)