This course is designed for a Public Information Officer (PIO) assigned to an incident as a member of an All-Hazards Incident Management Team (AHIMT) and local IMTs, as well as for the PIO assigned to an incident as an Assistant PIO in a variety of capacities.
This course will help participants develop a strong set of core PIO skills and the ability to apply them within the context of an AHIMT. This course is also distinct from other information function courses in that it combines elements from both the basic and advanced functions to concentrate training on the fundamental duties and responsibilities of the PIO in an all-hazards environment. The course material does not assume or require experience as a PIO, but also is not a basic PIO course.
This course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in multiple exercises that provides a realistic, scenario-driven approach to mastering the skills required of a PIO. Exercises, simulations, discussions, and a final exam enable participants to process and apply their new knowledge.
- Citizen Preparedness
- Incident Command System
- Universal Emergency Preparedness
- FEMA Employee Training
NIMS ICS All-Hazards training should be completed by personnel who are regularly assigned to Functional, Support, or Unit Leader positions on Type 3 or 4 AHIMTs, or by those persons who desire to seek credentials/certification in those positions.
Duration: Five days (40 hours)
- E/G0300, ICS-300: Intermediate Incident Command System for Expanding Incidents;
- E/G0400, ICS-400: Advanced Incident Command System for Command and General Staff—Complex Incidents;
- IS-0100.b, Introduction to the Incident Command System, ICS-100;
- IS-0200.b, Incident Command System for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents;
- IS-0700.a, National Incident Management System, An Introduction; and
- IS-0800.b, National Response Framework, An Introduction
- NIMS ICS All-Hazards Public Information Officer Training Manual
- Scenario handouts
- EMSI All Hazards Public Information Officer (PIO) Job Aid (optional)
- CEUs: 3.5
- ACE: Level: Lower Division/Associate
- ACE: Credit Hours: 2
ACE: Curriculum: Emergency Management or Public Administration