Certain incidents or events may require the use of Technical Specialists, who are niche operators with special skills that can be used anywhere within the Incident Command System organization. THSPs are typically managed by the Planning Section, but may be assigned to any section that requires their knowledge and skills. Recognizing that each THSP has a different skillset, this course is intended to prepare THSPs for assignment anywhere in an ICS organization. It will not cover the individual subject matter expertise required of being a specific THSP.
This course is an instructor-led training that supports learning through discussion, lecture, and active participation in multiple exercises that provides a realistic, hands-on approach to mastering the skills required of a THSP.
Specific Course Topics
- Review of ICS principles
- Roles and responsibilities of a THSP
- Introduction to Incident Management Teams
- Introduction to the ICS Operational Planning Process (Planning “P”)
- Notification and Response
- Meetings and Briefings
- Situation Unit roles and responsibilities
- Incident Action Planning and the IAP
Personnel responding as a Technical Specialist on an Incident Management Team.
Duration: Two days (16 hours)